2. Mission Motel 2012
Built prior to 1944, The Mission Motel is one of many motor-court motels aimed to accommodate travelers along the former turnpike between Dallas and Fort Worth. Historically, this type of architecture appeared after World War II along major roadways, and became known as roadside architecture.
Preservation Dallas included The Mission Motel, along with Alamo Plaza Courts Motel and The Ranch Motel on the 2007 List of Dallas’ Endangered Historic Places, stating that roadside architecture is “presently underappreciated” and these three motor-court motels were in imminent danger of demolition. This statement held true through the demolition of Alamo Plaza.
3. Cannon's Village 2012
In July of 1922, Dallas real estate mogul C.S. Mitchell filed an appeal in Federal Court to develop a shopping center on a double lot at the southeast corner of Davis and Edgefield in the Winnetka Heights residential district. Businesses weren’t allowed in residential districts and Mitchell’s plans had been denied by the city. The case was largely seen as a test case for Dallas’s building ordinance that restricted the establishment of business buildings in residential districts. He would have to exhaust the appeals process and it would take until November of that year for the matter to be settled.
Afterwards, Mr. Mitchell declared that he intended “to erect one of the most handsome business buildings in the city” that “will beautify, rather than detract from, the surrounding neighborhood.” To this end, the structure sought to incorporate English Tudor architecture, a slate roof, shrubbery and grass, set backs allowing for cars and “with the exception of one small sign at the corner of the building, the structure will be free of signs or exploitation matter, it is declared.” These things were to help the building blend in with the neighborhood rather than stand out and settle the feathers that had been ruffled with the long drawn out court case.