1. Historic Churches of Tenth St. / Various 2010 List
Oak Cliff Christian
300 E. Tenth St.
1916 - Demolished
It is a familiar story and the one that inspired this list. Twenty-three churches once lined Tenth St. So many that the road was listed in Ripley’s Believe It or Not as having more churches per square mile than anyplace else in the United States. Oak Cliff Christian sits on one end of the 8 remaining sanctuaries. DISD pulled a demo permit on December 15, 2009 and OOCCL and our friends begged and pleaded for the district to not demolish the structure but rather use it in their future plans. As demolition became more imminent and light could be seen through the ripped off windows and the exposed boards inside, OOCCL and Past President John McCall filed suit in District Court. Judge Martin Hoffman of the 68th court echoed our statements about the building ordered us to mediation.
2. Second Church of Christian Science / 1755 W. Colorado 2010
RISK - Lack of protection and condos next door, this structure may not be part of Stevens Park new Conservation District.
The Second Church of Christ Scientist started a church in Oak Cliff because First Church of Christ Scientist at Cadiz and Brower, downtown, had become too crowded. They outgrew their first structure at Tenth and Storey, where they were one of the 23 churches of Tenth St., and built this early colonial Williamsburg design on Stevens Park Golf Course in 1949. The architects were Wilson and Patterson and it cost $165,000.00 to construct.