6. 625 N. Ewing Ave. 2012
George T. Reynolds was the President of the First National Bank of Albany, Texas when he began making frequent trips to Ft. Worth in the late 1800’s. He had interests in cattle and was president of Texas Presbyterian University. He later moved to Dallas in the early 1900’s where he went on to become a member of the Dallas Board of Education. It was then that he built his home on N. Ewing and Sabine.
Built in 1911, the home was Mission in style, ten rooms and built of brick. N. Ewing offered a prime location particularly after the completion of the Houston St. Viaduct in 1912 blocks away. At one time the area was lined with many such mansions. Some remain interspersed throughout the area. A few are in the Lake Cliff Historic District along Marsalis but a few, like this one, rest outside the district and away from its protection.
7. 400 W. Page 2012
W. C. Lattimore was one of the earliest residents of 400 W. Page. He started his religious career in Denton in the late 1800’s as a popular Baptist minister while also serving on several boards and committees at Baylor University in Waco. In 1909, he moved to Oak Cliff where he became the pastor at Memorial Baptist Church at Tenth and Beckley. Memorial would go on to merge with Central Baptist Church and become Cliff Temple, which is still located at that corner. Lattimore would go on to remain Associate Pastor until his death in 1940.
Records aren't clear as to when the home was built. They show Lattimore as the first resident in 1917 but actual building permits are elusive. Victorian architecture can date back to the late 1800's so it is unclear. In the 1940’s the house was converted to a duplex and the porch was enclosed.