S. Windomere - Winnetka Heights
W.H. Goodnight was a contractor who built many homes in Winnetka Heights during the early 1900s. He built this craftsman-style bungalow in 1913. The house was originally described as a “six-room cottage” and sold for $2,000. The first owner was John K. Wood, a bond clerk at Citizen’s Bank & Trust Co. Sometime in the 1940s the Lancaster family moved in and daughter Elizabeth lived in the house until she passed away in the late 1980s. The house sat vacant until the late 1990s when the previous owner purchased the home and began extensive renovations. The current owner purchased the home after seeing it was for sale during the 2003 OOCCL Fall Home Tour.
The home’s exterior features include a shed dormer, side-gabled roof, wrap-around front porch, triangular knee braces and exposed rafter tails. The interior of the house was built based on the tenets of the arts and crafts movement with built-in cabinets on either side of the fireplace in the living room, wainscoting and plate rails in the formal dining room and a box beam ceiling in both rooms. Period light fixtures are in use in both rooms. The living room features a red brick fireplace with display niches and matching sconces. French doors are used for the formal dining room and a pocket door is in use for the master bathroom.
The current owner has an extensive collection of arts and crafts era furnishings acquired over a 22 year period. He began collecting art in 2000 and has put together a combination of paintings and prints from his native state of Arkansas as well as his adopted home of Texas, including some artwork from the Dallas Nine. The home rests on a double lot with large trees providing shade for the back and side yards. The landscape includes a mix of native and adapted trees including three types of oak and eight varieties of Japanese maples.