2012 Fall Home Tour Preview III
According to Dallas Morning News records, congregants of Tyler Street Methodist Episcopal Church (orginal name) began meeting in 1911 at the home of W.O. Forrester at 511 W.Tenth St. until the group outgrew their space. In 1912, a “neat frame structure” was erected at Sunset and Tyler for a value of $10,000. Their first service was held there on July 7, 1912.
Work on the current structure at Polk and Tenth began on April 11, 1921. A complete basement with an auditorium was completed first and served as home for the congregation during construction.
Upon completion, the church would seat over 1500, include a 5-story Sunday school department with a 5th floor gymnasium, a 3rd floor banquet room and a roof top garden. The cost grew from $125,000 to over $200,000.00. The year 1925 would see the largest building boom for churches heretofore in the city’s history with a dozen or more under construction for a combined cost of $2,000,000.00.
In 1926 local glassworker Roger McIntosh was commissioned to create the beautiful stained glass windows and dome: congregants donated all the money. Other amazing works by McIntosh include Munger Place Methodist Church, McFarland Auditorium, the Adolphus Hotel, the Herbert Marcus home and the Dallas Power and Light building downtown.
Tyler Street Methodist Church holds the dubious distinction of having been the first church in Dallas to be foreclosed on. In 1932 during the Great Depression, the Mercantile Commerce Bank & Trust of St. Louis ordered the church to pay its indebtedness of $108,000.00 or be padlocked. The latter happened. On Good Friday, 1932 the building was padlocked. Easter services that year were held in the Rosewin Theater on Jefferson. In 1933, with the help of the North Texas Conference, a new loan was negotiated and the church was reopened.