8. T.P. Coal & Oil Co. Station - 247 E. Davis 2012
Davis Street was the first paved road to Ft. Worth. It was part of the larger Bankhead Hwy. system. The Bankhead Hwy. was one of the first paved trans-continental highways in the United States stretching from Washington DC to San Diego and connecting Dallas to the rest of the country by automobile. Several other routes were lobied for including one through Oklahoma. The decision to take the highway through Dallas and Oak Cliff rather than some other city or state is arguably one of the single most important decisions affecting the prosperity of our area. Growth was unprecedented after we were connected and this is the sole reason that so many garages line Davis Street today.
In 1932, the Texas Pacific Coal & Oil Company built Station Number 1343 at the northeast corner of Davis and Madison. In 1954 the "nice independent service station" in a "good neighborhood" was for sale for a mere $900.
The service station was purchased last year by the Dallas Can Academy along with an adjacent property with the intent to level it all for a valet parking lot. However, a certain percentage of the lot must satisfy someone's required parking requirements first before it can be a valet business so leaving the brick garage and making it a business for that purpose alone makes sense. Probably not what the new owners thought when they bought it, but a good scenario for saving old buildings in a Conservation District while also providing additional parking. Study after study shows that buildings provide connectivity for pedistrians. Leaving the brick structure does this and leveling it all for parking does not.