7. 400 W. Page 2012
W. C. Lattimore was one of the earliest residents of 400 W. Page. He started his religious career in Denton in the late 1800’s as a popular Baptist minister while also serving on several boards and committees at Baylor University in Waco. In 1909, he moved to Oak Cliff where he became the pastor at Memorial Baptist Church at Tenth and Beckley. Memorial would go on to merge with Central Baptist Church and become Cliff Temple, which is still located at that corner. Lattimore would go on to remain Associate Pastor until his death in 1940.
Records aren't clear as to when the home was built. They show Lattimore as the first resident in 1917 but actual building permits are elusive. Victorian architecture can date back to the late 1800's so it is unclear. In the 1940’s the house was converted to a duplex and the porch was enclosed.
In 2007, Preservation Dallas placed the entire neighborhood of Ruthmeade Place on their “Most Endangered Historic Places” list and singled out this property in particular as one of the largest remaining Victorians in the neighborhood. They cited an “out-of-state” owner as neglecting the house that had been boarded up for years. In 2008 there was hope as a near-by neighbor purchased the home but the house is still abandoned, still deteriorates and is still boarded up. Ironically, the home where the current owner lives is the same address where Mrs. Lattimore lived out the remainder of her life – just one block down Page.