4. Eagle Ford School / 1601 Chalk Hill Rd. 2010
RISK - Lack of city services.
Located in the area known today as Pinnacle Park but previously as Cement City, the Eagle Ford District 49 School sat alone for years out on Chalk Hill Rd. This 1916 structure was built using cement from the nearby quarries where the town got its name. The roof is 5" thick steel reinforced cement and the walls are 14" to 16" thick made from two layers of cement bricks with 6" of cement layered in between. The structure is 4000 sq. ft. with a boy’s entrance to the north and a girl’s entrance to the south and an auditorium entrance behind. At each of these doors are half staircases up to the classrooms and down to the basement. It was in the basement where a report card of the school’s more famous alumni was discovered – Miss Bonnie Parker.
According to the current owner, when Pinnacle Park was first platted and Lowe’s began work across Chalk Hill Rd., they destroyed his grandfathered septic tank. Because the structure was so isolated, no sewer line previously existed. Destroying this and not hooking the structure up to the sewer line has represented the greatest threat the structure has ever faced. The success of Pinnacle Park is a wonderful thing in previously unimproved area but encroaching structures from behind and in front coupled with a disconnect of one of the most basic of city services threatens this structure immensely. Chalk Hill is soon to be widened and take half of the front parking lot. It is an opportune time to right past and give this building a fighting chance with an owner who continues to want to office and utilize the building. Adding abandonment to its list of woes would not help.
The building most surely qualifies for Dallas Landmark Status as well as a place on the National Registry of Historic Places. All of these designations translate to tax abatement's and current zoning allow restaurant, retail or industrial.
From the Dallas Morning News
Eagle Ford School Closes