The reconstruction of the Kiest Park Pergola in Dallas (originally constructed in 1934) was recognized with a 2016 Honor Award on February 18th.
Oak Cliff's 1314 West Davis Street a/k/a Cannon's Village awarded Historic Preservation Tax Exemption status. Thank you to Kacy Jones and his entire family for this beautiful restoration to 1922!! Cannon's won the OOCCL 2014 Ruth Chenoweth Preservation Award.
By Rachel Stone for Oak Cliff Advocate
The first section of the City of Dallas’ trail system to reach West Dallas also will be one of its prettiest.
The planned Chalk Hill Trail follows a 3.7-mile path originally cut by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, from the DART station at Wright and Illinois and snakes around to West Davis and Chalk Hill Road. In fewer than four miles, it travels through varied scenery, including residential neighborhoods and forested areas, reaching the chalk cliffs above West Davis.
The trail will be 12 feet wide and paved with 6-inch reinforced concrete. Dallas County is paying $6 million for the trail, and the City of Dallas is paying $100,000 for environmental testing and remediation.
The city is expected to finalize its design for the trail next summer, and construction should being in winter 2017. It should take about a year to complete the trail, so it could be open sometime in 2018.
When it opens, there won’t be lighting or any other amenities along the trail. Fundraising from private “friends of” groups have paid for those extras on the Katy Trail and at White Rock Lake, for example.
By Rachel Stone for the Oak Cliff Advocate
A piece of Oak Cliff transportation history is set to become a City of Dallas Historic Landmark.
The Mountain Creek Bridge was constructed in 1930 and built to last centuries, although it was only in service for about five years.
A remnant of the bridge, off Jefferson about a quarter mile west of Cockrell Hill, was part of the Texas Interurban Railway, a system of electric passenger trains that moved people all over Texas beginning in the early 1900s. This bridge was part of the line that came through Oak Cliff down Jefferson Boulevard and on to Fort Worth.
In 1930, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad needed an 8-mile spur to move materials to and from Cement City. But that line needed to cross the interurban line. So the rail road and Dallas County split the cost to build the 45-foot tall, 400-foot long Mountain Creek Bridge. They also excavated to lower Jefferson Boulevard and build the new railway spur between the two, creating a triple underpass. That is all explained in detail in a paper, embedded below, written by Michael Amonett, a landmark commissioner and past president of the Old Oak Cliff Conservation League.
In 1951, Dallas County Commissioner Denver Seale wanted to tear down the bridge because he thought Jefferson Boulevard needed to be widened eventually. Seale told the Dallas Morning News at the time, however, that the bridge would be too expensive to destroy