4. 1045 N. Zang Blvd. - Zang's Storefront c.1914
J.F. Zang completed his 2-story triangular 70x30x70 brick veneer storefront at 1045 Zang Blvd. in 1914 for $3000. Zang was a prominent Oak Cliff developer and civic leader. He had just finished leading the charge to complete the Houston St. Viaduct in 1912 and was grand marshal of the parade across the bridge celebrating its completion.
Later in 1912, Zang led the movement to form the Trinity Navigation Company. Several local businessmen started the company with $50,000. At the meeting where Zang made the motion forming the company, several statements were made to the effect that Dallas suffered financially being inland and the problem needed to be rectified. Several comparisons to Houston were made.
In 1913, Zang along with George Sergeant and several others formed a committee to widen, pave and beautify “Zang’s” Blvd. The committee overwhelmingly wanted to follow George Kessler’s plan for improving park centers, widening the street and planting trees and shrubs. They asked the Park Board to assist them in making appropriations for ornamental lighting and decorations. Zangs was part of a larger plan for Oak Cliff to make a "complete circle" proceeding to Bishop down to Ballard then to "Mont Clair" down Tenth to Oak Cliff Blvd and to Burlington, to Beckley to Marsalis and back to the Viaduct. Today, Tenth, N. Oak Cliff Blvd. and Burlington are all wide residenttial bouldvards with broad medians reflecting Kessler's plan.
This triangular building is unique in the way it conforms to its oddly formed block. Long before the phrase “mixed-use” ever entered our vocabulary, this building did just that as A.E. Saunders lived at 1045 ½ upstairs while Saunders Cash Grocery operated below for much of the 20’s and 30’s. Later the bottom floor became the Oriental Laundry with a resident living above.
The Zangs lived out their days just a block away in their mansion at Zang and 6th.
The triangular building is now the home of Malley Law Offices and is well cared for.
The building is historic because of its uniqueness, Zang’s connection to both it and the tree lined grand-boulevard in front of it not to mention the viaduct he championed that it connects to. An Oak Cliff Gateway is not a new concept. It’s important to remember people were planning an Oak Cliff Gateway a century ago with tree-lined boulevards, streetcars and mixed-use structures. Aspects of those plans remain and should continue to do so.
This building is in the Oak Cliff Gateway - Subdistrict E, Walkable Urban Mixed Use (WMU-3-SH), 3-1/2 stories max., 50 feet max.