5. 500 N. Ewing - J.G. Davis c.1910
500 N. Ewing was built in 1910 by J.G. Davis. The Davis's moved from 201 Jefferson. Davis was in the cattle business. J.G. Davis was a member of the Oak Cliff Council at the time Dallas annexed Oak Cliff in 1903. Davis was one of many that petitioned lawmakers in Austin to force Dallas to abide by term of the referendum placed before voters at the time of annexation and to force Dallas to do what it had agreed to. Mainly at issue was the matter of saloons. Dallas had them and Oak Cliff didn't want them. Also there were certain civic investments that Dallas promised with regards to newly built schools.
Dallas enforced a poll tax at the objection of the anti-annexationists resulting in a final vote for the annexation of Oak Cliff
with a difference of 18
Davis was a member of the 1907 Oak Cliff Commercial Club; a precursor to the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce.
Both Davis and his wife were extremely active in the community. Notably Mrs. Davis was instrumental in securing funds for Oak Cliff's first branch library.
The second notable resident to 500 N. Ewing was L.O. Donald. Donald was president of the Southland Building and Loan Associatioin of the Oak Cliff Pharmacy Co., VP of the Oak Cliff State Bank and Trust and a director of the Oak Cliff-Dallas Commercial Association. He was a member of the Board of Education and an elementary school in Cockrell Hill is named after him.
500 Ewing is in the Oak Cliff Gateway - Subdistrict B, Walkable Urban Residential (WR-3), 3-1/2 stories max., 50 feet max.